Econ 353: Money, Banking, and Financial Institutions
First Midterm Exam Review Guide:
Topic Coverage and Required Materials
- Last Updated: 2 February 2011
- Latest Course Offering: Spring 2011
- Course Instructor:
- Professor Leigh Tesfatsion
- Telephone: 294-0138
tesfatsi AT iastate.edu
- Office Hours: Heady 375, Tuesdays 2:10-3:40pm and by appointment.
Econ 353 Homepage
Exam Information Site
Practice Exam Site
First Midterm Exam: Thursday, February 10, 12:40-2:00pm, Ross Hall 0124 (i.e., Regular Class Meeting Time and Place)
General Exam Policy: Please visit the
Exam Information Site
for detailed information about general midterm and final exam policies for Econ 353.
Required Materials for First Midterm Exam:
- The First Midterm Exam for Spring 2011 will be a comprehensive closed-book exam covering all required materials assigned from the first day of class through Tuesday, February 8, 2011 the last day of class prior to the exam day on Thursday, February 10, 2011.
- These required materials include the following:
- Required text readings (Mishkin Chapters 1 through 3)
- Required html notes on Mishkin Chapters 1 through 3
- Required ppt slides on Mishkin Chapters 1 through 3
- Required Empirical Data Packets #1 and #2
- In-class discussions through February 8th
- Take-home exercises 1 through 4 (including the required readings for the Q6-Q8 questions listed within each exercise)
- **IMPORTANT**: The required (**) html notes and ppt slides posted at the online Econ 353 syllabus for each Mishkin chapter indicate which particular topics from this chapter will be stressed in class lectures, take-home exercises, and exams. See, in particular, the listings of Basic Concepts and Key Issues given at the end of each set of html notes for each Mishkin chapter.
- Apart from the required readings for the Q6-Q8 exercise questions, the required materials (1) through (6) above can be found (marked with a double asterisk **) at the
on-line Econ 353 syllabus.
For your convenience, these required (**) materials are reproduced below.
Section 1. Financial Economics: Fundamental Concepts
Mishkin Chapter 1: Basic Definitions and Empirical Data Overview
Mishkin Chapter 2: Overview of the Financial System
Key in-class discussion questions for Mishkin Chapter 2: Part A
- ** Mishkin Chapter 2 ("An Overview of the Financial System"
L. Tesfatsion, Notes on Mishkin Chapter 2: Part A
** Empirical Data for the U.S. Economy: Packet 2
(Financial Crises), HAND-OUT. See also the on-line version
that contains most (but not all) of this hand-out.
ANSWER KEY (answers at end) for Take-Home Exercise 2 on Mishkin Chapter 2:Part A (Due: Tuesday, Jan 25, 12:40pm).
Key in-class discussion questions for Mishkin Chapter 2: Part B
L. Tesfatsion, Notes on Mishkin Chapter 2: Part B
ANSWER KEY (answers at end) for Take-Home Exercise 3 on Mishkin Chapter 2:Part B (Due: Tuesday, February 1, 12:40pm).
Mishkin Chapter 3: What is Money?